The following table is a listing of courses available. For specific information about each class, click the plus sign next to the course title.
|Sixth Grade||Seventh Grade||Eighth Grade|
|• 6th Health Fitness||• 7th Health Fitness||• Advanced Health|
6th Health Fitness
6th Grade Health Fitness
One Marking Period
6th Grade health is an introduction course based on safety, disease prevention and making healthy choices. The emphasis is on building skills to reduce the negative consequences of high-risk behavior. The sixth-grade health program is currently a 9-week program. Fitness participation is 20 % of their grade which may include swimming, tennis, weights, yoga and other classroom fitness activities.
- Cardiovascular System/Heart Health
- Fitness Development
- Tobacco and Alcohol Awareness
- Nutrition and Understanding Food labels
- Resiliency and Coping Skills
- Reducing High-Risk Behaviors
- Positive Communication skills
- Reproductive Health - A letter will be sent to introduce this topic and give more information.
7th Health Fitness
7th Grade Health Fitness
Health Education program is based on learning updated and accurate health related information. Key components include partner and group activities, accessing information, analyzing influences like the media and our peers, and communicating in a positive and confident manner. 7th and 8th-grade levels are required to keep a health folder and maintain it throughout the semester. Fitness activities are graded on participation.
- Self Confidence (3 parts)
- Goal Setting
- Decision-Making Skills using Personal Values (such as Respect, Responsibility, Self-Control…)
- Resisting Negative Peer Pressure Techniques and using ASK
- Communication skills such as Assertiveness
- Basics of Nutrition, food labeling and awareness of advertising
- Mental Health Issues including Resiliency
- Alcohol and the brain and its relationship to decisions and negative consequences
- Dating Safety
- Legal Consequences of Personal Actions
- Internet-related behaviors and legal consequences
- Endocrine System and Adolescent Development
- Reproductive System and Pregnancy/Prenatal Development
- Sexually Transmitted Disease Prevention, including HIV-AIDS
- Personal Healthy Choices including Abstinence
- First Aid
FITNESS Participation 20% of grade
Advanced Health is an elective. The content includes reviews of 7th-grade curriculum and more independent projects. Students are expected to present and advocate.
Personal Values (Such as Respect, Responsibility, Self-Control…)
Resisting Negative Peer Pressure Techniques and using ASK
Communication skills such as Assertiveness
Nutrition, Key concerns of this era...preventing obesity and understanding other food disorders.
Mental Health and Coping skills, understanding mental health illness
Alcohol on the brain and its relationship to decisions and negative consequences. Dating Safety
Illicit and licit drug abuse
Addiction and Legal Consequences of Personal Actions
Internet-related behaviors and legal consequences
Endocrine System and Adolescent Development
Reproductive System and Pregnancy/Prenatal Development
Sexually Transmitted Disease Prevention, including HIV-AIDS
Personal Healthy Choices including Abstinence
ADVOCACY students will develop a community service project including a wellness fair for 6th graders.