The following table is a listing of courses available. For specific information about each class, click the plus sign next to the course title.
|Sixth Grade||Seventh Grade||Eighth Grade|
|• 6th Science||• 7th Science||• Earth Science|
In the course of the year sixth graders will learn topics within the following units of study:
- Biological Evolution and Diversity
- Heredity within traits
- Structure and Process of Organisms
Unit: Physical and Chemical Properties and Changes in Matter
- Matter is made up of atoms, elements, and molecules that are represented through models.
- Elements are chemical substances that make up all other substances.
- Physical and chemical properties identify substances and determine when a chemical change has occurred.
Unit: Structures and Processes of Living Things
- All living organisms are composed of cells.
- Multi-cellular organisms have specialized cells.
- Photosynthesis transforms light energy into chemical energy.
Unit: Fluid Earth Systems and Human Activities
- The Sun is the major source of energy for phenomenon on Earth.
- The Sun’s warming relates to weather, climate, and the water cycle.
- Human interaction and the use of natural resources affect our environment.
Unit: Waves and Energy
- Waves are produced through vibrations.
- Waves transfer energy when they interact with matter.
- Nuclear reactions that take place in the sun produce heat and light.
The 8th grade Earth Science class covers 4 major areas: the Geosphere, the Atmosphere, the Hydrosphere, and Astronomy.
- Carbon Cycle
- Interior of the Earth
- Plate Tectonics
- Advanced Rock Cycle
- Geologic Time
- Severe Weather
- Oceans and Climate
- Climate Change
- Water Quality
- Energy Resources
- Environmental Changes
- Universe and Galaxies
- The Sun and Other Stars
- Solar Activity
- Stellar Evolution